Saturday, February 13, 2010

Valentine's Day...

Valentine’s Day.

There are various opinions concerning this holiday that are heard around the world. Some believe it is just a commercial holiday used by flower shops and stores to steal your money. Others believe it is a time to express their love for their significant other.

How do I see Valentine’s Day you might be asking yourself?

Valentine’s Day is a reminder. It is a day that we have been blessed with where we are reminded to cherish those we hold close to us and express that love in whatever way we see fitting. It’s one day where you are reminded to take a moment, afternoon, evening, etc. to love despite circumstances and situations.

After hearing and seeing some of the comments concerning Valentine’s Day, I just have to say that it isn’t a holiday meant to make those without a husband, wife, boyfriend, girlfriend, or fiance feel like an outcast, feel lonely, or feel deprived. If you don’t have a significant other, why be bitter about it? Sure, just about every person wants that special someone, but everything happens when it’s meant to happen. There’s no reason to be cynical about this holiday or about the love others share. Take yourself out to eat, grab a movie, buy yourself something you’ve been wanting, make yourself a delectable dessert, go out with someone you’ve just recently met… It’s important to remember that you have to be happy with yourself before you can be happy with someone else. Love yourself. Take care of yourself. And don’t be upset when others shine the love they have for their partners.

If you are in a relationship this Valentine’s Day, don’t just think of Valentine’s Day as a gimmick schemed up by the managers of businesses. Take this day as a beautiful reminder of the person you have right in front of you. Take it as a day where you can reflect on the relationship you have had, where you came from, and where you are now. Think about how life would be without your special someone. Look at their beauty, their amazing qualities. And let them know how much you care because every person has a need to hear that. For Valentine’s Day, I didn’t expect a bouquet of flowers, a new necklace, or even a card. All I wanted was to be with those that I love because isn’t that what life is all about?

Valentine’s Day weekend, I am taking time to spend with those that are close to my heart. I went to lunch with my mom today, spending the evening with my amazing boyfriend, and then lunch tomorrow with both of my parents. I have talked to my brother and sister. I just want every person I cherish to know that.

We have to get out of this mindset that Valentine’s Day is a cruel reminder to those people without significant others and a thief of funds to those that do have significant others. See Valentine’s Day for what it REALLY, TRULY is. A day to TELL those that you love... that you love them. It’s not JUST about your boyfriend, your girlfriend, your fiance, your husband, or your wife. It’s about those that change your world every day. Tell your mom that you love her, your dad, your siblings, your cousins, your friends, your aunts, your uncles, your grandparents… anyone that makes life worth living needs to hear how much you love and appreciate them today.


Love is life. All, everything that I understand, I understand only because I love. Everything is, everything exists, only because I love.- Leo Tolstoy

No comments: