Sunday, August 1, 2010

Day 2: Your Favorite Movie

I can never make things easy. I don't have just one favorite movie either. Let's go with the top three.

First of all, if you've known me for more than two seconds, you probably know that I have an unhealthy obsession with theater and, in particular, musicals. So, when I was the ripe old age of seven, I came across this wholesome little gem (said completely tongue in cheek) in which speaking parts were unheard of. The entire script is sung. Praise Him in the noontime. Anyway, at around seven, I was immersed in the world of Argentine fascism and corrupt government (and Madonna, of course) in a movie that I'm pretty sure is what started my minor obsession with South America and speaking Spanish. The description of said movie would not be complete without the most commonly associated scene/song (which has become excessively cliche.

Ladies and gentlemen, I give you "Don't Cry for Me, Argentina" from Evita.



And now I'm about to completely undo all notions of my being cultured that that clip may have caused. By admitting that my other favorite movie is excessively cheesy. And shameful. And I blame Gateway for it.



Between a group of my friends at school, the quote, "You go, Glen Coco!" became a common greeting and/or interjection into common conversation based on a mutual (and growingly obsessive) love of the movie Mean Girls (right before Lindsay Lohan lost her flippin' mind). There is very little about this movie that I do not positively love, and I am shamefully unashamed of that fact. I will likely be 85 years old and still texting my friend, Heather, whenever I see a box of toaster streudels (if you've seen the movie, you'll understand that my father invented these and is not pleased about this fact. If you haven't, none of the previous sentence made sense to you.)

Finally, the movie that will never, ever cease to bring a smile to my face, despite the fact that I can quote it backwards, forwards, and sideways in my sleepand is the ultimate cure for a crappy day.

My Big Fat Greek Wedding

It needs no introduction. If you haven't seen it, you must, simply to gather the essence of its epic awesomeness. It's just that simple. "What do you mean he don't eat no meat?"

1 comment:

Jewel said...

Goodness, but our tastes in most everything is so different, BUT I do like MBFGW! It's not my favorite movie but I like it. I think my two favorite movies are the newer version of Little Women and Sense and Sensibility with Kate Winslet.