Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Pretty Much Awesome

It's 2 AM.

I am seemingly needlessly awake.

I need sleep. I long for sleep.

College students don't get sleep. I'm not sure it exists anymore.

I have so much in my head.

And so I do what I typically do in the idle hours where my mind is full and needing rest.

I talk to God.

Note, I didn't say pray. Why? I'm not sure. At the moment, perhaps due to sleeplessness, the word pray seems to have this connotation that I'm hashing out some deep theological truth with my creator.

Which I most certainly am not.

I really am just talking to Him.

But at the same time, I have a million things right at the front of my mind.

I want.

I need.

I would like it if.

But for some reason, tonight I can't seem to bring myself to let these things out.

Yeah, I know you're supposed to cast your cares upon God, but some nights, I just don't want to talk about my cares to anyone.

I think God gets that.

So, I just say, "You know God, you really are awesome. And I don't mean that in the deep way like in the songs about how you reign on a million mountain tops with the power to strike down the evil in an instant. Not that it's not true. But you're just pretty much awesome. "

Sometimes you just need to give praise.
And it doesn't even need to be deep praise.

God is a friend. I love that about Him. He doesn't require my prayers to be deep. Or in Old English.

Sometimes, when it's 2 AM and you can't sleep, the answer is a conversation with your Best Friend.

Because he's pretty much awesome.

No comments: