Friday, February 27, 2009

Piano Jesus Moment

I had a rare "Jesus moment" in Piano Lab yesterday.

I was sitting, praciticing my song that I've been working on for the past five weeks and am getting steadily worse in most parts, and I come to a chord that I play and it sounds wrong. I mean, I hit it and it sounds like a cat slowly dying. So, I look at the notes again, just to make sure that I'm playing the right notes. I tried it again, and it still sounded horrible.

I called my teacher over and asked him about the notes in question. He said that I was playing them right.

"See, this note is a half note. You're playing the first quarter note, but have you tried the second?"

I hadn't, so I did. That sounded a lot better. "But that doesn't make any sense. The one note still sounds really bad."

"Okay," He said, "Play that good chord by itself and see how it sounds."

It sounded good.

"Now try the bad note followed by the good note."

The second note sounded even better next to the bad note.

"See, the composer put the note in there, knowing that it sounded bad, but also knowing that it would make the notes after it sound awesome. At first glance, it looks like it ruins the song, but really, it enhances it."

In a rare moment of depth, I realized that God is a lot like that. Some things in life just plain chew. They make you think that nothing good can come out of them, but in the end, it's just a way that God can make things turn out great and let people see his glory.

 Acts 15:18
"Known unto God are all his works from the beginning of the world."

No comments: