Thursday, January 22, 2009

Broadway Saves The Day (Again)

I heard somewhere that the best way to motivate someone to learn something is to find something that they're interested in and use that as a teaching tool.

I'm taking piano lab this semester to fulfill the rest of my fine arts credits that I need to graduate (I took Theater Arts last year), and we took our pretest yesterday. I took piano about 8 years ago, and didn't think I would remember anything. So, we get our pretest, and it's reading notes and matching notes to their keys on the keyboard. In my head I could remember my Aunt Julie telling me, "Every good boy deserves fudge" (lines on the treble clef). I aced that thing. So, today, three of us get called to the teacher's desk.

"Umm...you guys are pretty proficient in your note-reading, so I have some books here and I want you to pick a song and you're going to learn that while I'm teaching the rest of the class notes, okay?"

I'm proficient? Sweet.

So, I'm going through the books, expecting to find your basic piano classics- Fur Elise, Chopsticks, Greensleeves, Canon- you know, the works. Nope. This guy has a sweet collection. Best of the Beatles, Songs of Queen, Billy Joel, Coldplay's Hits, and then, I see it. A sole light shines down from heaven as I hear a voice say, "For you, my child."



Yessssss, Jesus loves meeeeeeee.

It was all there. Chicago, Fiddler on the Roof, Hairspray, Chorus Line, Cats, Music Man, Evita, Rent, [continue babbling long list of musicals that only I and possibly my immediate family member  cares about.]

I plunked away at All That Jazz, All I Ask Of You, I Can Hear The Bells, I've Grown Accustomed To Her Face, and then finally get to the two that I have to decide between.

I have to choose between Eva Peron and Mark Cohen. Johnathan Larson and Andrew Lloyd Weber. Evita and Rent!

Say it ain't so!!!!

I have to pick between Don't Cry For Me Argentina and Seasons of Love. What to do?

But still, I can't wait to get back to class in the morning, and I'm really excited about playing the piano again.

So, once again, the day is saved thanks to Broadway.

No comments: