Saturday, September 13, 2008

Letter to The Washington Post

After reading about this cartoon on Tiffany's blog, I wrote my first letter to the editor ever. After seeing the cartoon, I would like to urge my readers, particularly those that are Pentecostal, to do the same.

To Whom It May Concern,


This letter is in response to an extremely offensive cartoon seen in your paper on September 9. This comic featured Sarah Palin speaking in tongues and was degrading and offensive to those of the Pentecostal faith, myself and my family included. It is completely unacceptable to publicly mock the religion of anyone, especially in such a public manner. Racial slurs and statements against lifestyles such as homosexuality are frowned upon and often not permitted in newspapers or on-line periodicals, and I find it extremely disturbing that a paper with such high regard and credibility would not be tolerant of the beliefs and practices of a religious organization.


I would like to see a retraction of the cartoon and a public apology to Pentecostals. We have the right to read your paper without being offended by such blatant intolerance.


Sincerely,


Rebecca Ryan

No comments: