Saturday, March 29, 2008

Completely Ruins It

I have seen Mamma Mia! 2 times on stage. Once when I was 13 and again I got tickets for my 16th birthday. They are now coming out with a movie, which at the beginning I was psyched about because I absolutely love Mamma Mia!, but then I realized that this is going to be a big, big bummer.

When Anne Hathaway starred in The Devil Wears Prada, everyone rushed out to see it. Sales of the book went up, and everyone started raving about what a great author Lauren Weisberger was. I read the book about 2 or 3 years before the movie came out. I knew it was amazing. I was pretty much giddy when they said they were making a movie about it. But from then on, if anyone tried to say they were a fan of The Devil Wears Prada, you were on the bandwagon. I loathed the people who tried to say they were true fans of the book and of Lauren Weisberger in general, but hadn't bothered to pick up a copy of the book until Anne Hathaway and Stanley Tucci made it cool. They irritated me. And whenever you said that you were a fan of the books, as far as anyone else was concerned, you were on the bandwagon, like them, and your zealousness had no bearing on the situation.

I have a prediction that after Mamma Mia! comes out in theaters in July, there will be a ton of Mamma Mia! fans. That have never seen the musical. That don't appreciate Sam before he was Pierce Brosnan or Donna before she was Meryl Streep.

And that is such a shame.

3 comments:

Don Ryan said...

I have never been more proud of you!!

the lizness said...

You can say you loved it way back when ... :)

Carolyn said...

I admit it....I have the movie (devil prada) and have watched it many many times. But I have never read the book. :( Bad me! Please don't hate me. lol (Love your dad's comment!) :)