Friday, June 18, 2010

Some Good Confusion

Confusion is a word that has become commonplace in my life over the course of the past couple of months. It's not a bad thing. In theory, confusion eventually leads to some answers and growth. I'm waiting on these things. I've added a good kind of confused to my life this week, in addition to the pile of things I've accumulated that seem to be taking up my life as of late.

Yesterday, a packet came in the mail from Apostolic Youth Corps announcing the locations for next year. My dad got it in the mail and happened to mention this to me because one of the destinations happens to be Paraguay. This initially got me interested because I have friends there, love the country, and think it would be awesome to get to go back. And then some other things caught my eye. Two other destinations listed were Malawi and Sri Lanka.

Some logistics are involved in this, including the price of the trips, the length of the trips (Malawi and Paraguay are ten days and Sri Lanka is a month), and the fact that I could either return to someplace I love or see somewhere new that is on my map. I'm leaning towards Sri Lanka and Malawi because I've never seen them, but with those two, I'm torn. Sri Lanka means more time, more exposure, and because of the length of the trip, more die-hard missions junkies like me. Malawi, on the other hand, although a shorter trip, is Africa. Not just Africa, but underdeveloped, third-world Africa. Just the kind of place I want to make a career out of visiting, living in, working in. And, for those of you who don't know, I'm learning Swahili. It's a decision that is tough, but a nice, fun one to make, and I'm thrilled at the idea of going out of the country again.

No comments: