Tuesday, December 22, 2009

A Challenge To You...

It breaks my heart that the first question we ask when we meet a person is what they do for a living. Why are we so defined by our jobs? Nobody seems to be interested in the important things, like the fact that my favorite color is pink, that I love to dance in the rain, that Christmas is my favorite time of the year, and that I believe in magic. Ask me instead what I daydream about, what I love, and what my favorite book is. These, after all, are the things that matter.

I have been doing a lot of thinking and it just seems like... the world today has become so consumed with money.. with material items. When someone speaks of having a new job, the first question out of most mouths is usually "How much do you make?" And honestly, this breaks my heart. Sometimes, I feel like I was born at the wrong time.. wrong century. Because see, the things I want to do in this life probably aren't going to make me a lot of money. And there are a lot of times where I just feel like (to some people) this desire and plan I have just.... isn't good enough. When you state you want to visit the elderly, you want to help the homeless... often the first response is "Well, that won't provide you a living." No, honestly, it isn't going to make me rich in dollar bills, but honestly, I can't take any of that with me when I leave this earth anyways. What does it profit a man if he earns all the money in the world, but leaves nothing eternal behind? Sure, when we pass on we can leave money for our families, children, etc., but soon, that money will run out. Then what? I want my life to mean something. To change someone's life. I want there to be a brilliant echo long after I'm gone...

I just wish we could get to a point where we look at the goodness of someone before we look at their bank account. There are amazing people that walk around us on a daily basis that sometimes, we don't give a second look. I challenge you, the next time someone tells you about themselves... not to ask what their occupation is, but ask them what makes them come alive. Ask them what makes their heart race. What makes them tick... because I assure you, those are things that leave footprints once the person is long gone...

2 comments:

Jewel said...

Absolutely wonderful thought-provoking post. Thank you, whoever you are! :-)

Mommy Neva said...

This was beautiful, and true. Sad as that is.