Saturday, July 11, 2009

The Mosque

This story has already circulated to quite a few people in the church and food bank, so I figured I might as well post it on here, too. Feel free to mock and laugh at my stupidity.

The first day that I was here, I got woken up every morning by a chant. It sounded to me like a call to prayer and so I asked the missionaries if there happened to be a mosque nearby. Bro.Bir told me that Ciudad del Este, a little bit east of here, has the largest Muslim population in South America, and that millions of dollars are funneled to Bin Laden annually. It has the third largest black market in the world. Who knew? I assumed that this is what I'd been hearing and told my family and friends about the mosque, telling them how it annoyed me every morning by waking me up.

The other day, I was sitting in the church office at about ten in the morning, I heard a very familiar sound. This was unusual, because usually when I heard the mosque, it was at 8:45 in the morning. I asked Sis.Bir what the sound was.

"Oh, that's a horse cart carrying produce with a megaphone. They're very loud and annoying."

That's when I listened very closely to my mosque. And could actually understand what they were saying.


 

"NARANJAAAAAA! MANDIOCA!!!"

No comments: