Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Hour 19....

In case you hadn't gathered this from last night, I'm having a pretty difficult couple of days. Leaving yesterday was the hardest thing I've ever had to do in my life, and I'm still not doing great, although sleeping most of the way from Houston to Argentina helped a lot.

I'm sitting in Buenos Aires right now and I'm leaving for Asuncion in about two hours. I have hobbled my way through customs and check in with my extremely broken Spanish. I got stopped at customs so that they could look at my books and make sure that they were, in fact, books. It was scary. I'm attempting to get used to a different keyboard layout because the Latin American setup is just really weird, and I can't find somewhere to  buy an adapter. That will be problematic if I can't find one.

I should also mention that thanks to the pandemic right now, I had to wear a very fashionable face mask until I got checked in. Not good times.

I am going to meet the missionaries in about four hours. I don't honestly know what to expect on that end. I do know that once I go live with this family that they have arranged, life is going to be fairly difficult, I'm just guessing from how hard it's been to get by with my Spanish here.

I don't know how I'm going to make it for the next six months right now. I haven't even been gone for 24 hours and I'm a wreck. I called my parents last night and I was bawling. It was not fun at all.

In my heart, I know that this is what I'm supposed to do. My head is  telling me something completely different. I  can't let my head win, but right now, it's seeming pretty easy to do that.

No comments: