Saturday, July 1, 2006

Mice and Lice and Tornados, Oh My!!

Sound fun? Think again!!! Here's my camp journal....

Monday- Woke up and drove in. Got registered, had worker's meeting. Oh yeah, my Aunt Julie and Uncle Ken got to camp a little late too. Guess why? My uncle was pulling his RV out of the parking lot in Jackson, Ohio and wrecked into a tree. The RV is now a convertible. They were both alright, unlike the camper's roof. They got in at about 9 PM as opposed to AM. Oh, and I also went to the night-swim. So Fun! Went into shock, seriously. I went off the diving board way too fast, so I hit and then knocked the wind out of myself. As if this wasn't bad enough, the water in the diving board end is 12 feet. I hit the bottom of that. Could not get to the surface. I was so scared. Felt so sick I almost went home.
Tuesday- The real work begins. I am on cleanup crew sooooo...this means, WAKE UP AND SCRUB THE POTTIES!!! FUN!! Poor Amanda's bathroom was always gross. Mine was never that bad. Went swimming after cleaning. That was fun. Threw my back out this time, doing a twist, then got a nosebleed. OMGsh, u would think that those lifeguards had never seen a nosebleed. I had like 5 come in and ask if I had medical history of nosebleeds and if they needed to call my parents. I get nosebleeds all the time in the summer!! Arrrrggghhh... Oh yeah, when I go back I was really tired, so after lunch, I went back to the pit and was gonna try to catch a few Z's before it was time to clean the Tabranacle. Well, in the pit we have a dear little four legged friend who likes to pay us a visit, once and a while. I call him.... Squeaky. Squeaky made his first appearence of the year while I was trying to sleep. I was awakened by the screams of a bunch of girls who Squeaky was greeting. Oh goody.
Wednesday- Oh what a joyous day. Absolutely boring. Until after church. After church everyone gathers in the Dining Hall for concessions and fellowship and everything. Well, I have no cell service in the Dining Hall. So I went out and was gonna call my parents, just to check in for the night. Well, I noticed that it was getting a bit dark a little early. And there was some wind...well a lot of wind. And then I see everyone staring at the sky over the Dining Hall. So, I look up and I see these clouds. Big, black, ominous clouds, like you would see in a movie. And I think "Well, that's creepy." Then, Bro. Monk, the camp manager, comes out and looks at the sky, followed by Doug, Jared, Curtis, and some of the other maintainence guys. He takes one look and says "Oh, that is not good." I'm getting a bit scared at this point. Then I ask Sis. Williamson, who was helping Sarge this week with clean-up, what is going on. She says, "Those are tornado clouds. They just haven't touched down yet."

OH SNAP!!!!!!

Well, I am in sheer panic mode at this point, and the campers choose to now tell me that they are scared because I work at camp and I should have all the answers. So I tell them "Just stay calm, we're trying to figure out what is going on. Just hang tight, for a moment." (No pun intended) While inside I am going "WE'RE ALL GONNA DIE!!!" So I go in and see my Uncle Ken, and I am whiter than a ghost.
Dialogue- K=Uncle Ken, J=Aunt Julie, R=me
K: Hey girl, what's going on?
R:Ummmmmmm....Uncle Ken, there's some tornado clouds out there.
K: No way!!!!
Apparently to my uncle, who has lived in Tornado Alley all of his life, this is the coolest thing ever. So he runs into the kitchen to get my aunt, who is doing dishes.
K:Jules, you have got to come see this!!
J: (stares at ominous, non-rolling clouds) Wow, that's a bit freaky.

So, I am clinging to my aunt most of the evening. She puts me to work doing dishes and informs me that I have seen way too many movies. Then she tells me to think of the old movies. With crappy special effects and stuff.

Wizard of OZ comes to mind.

So, at about this moment, an announcement comes over the loudspeaker requesting that all people relocate themselves to either the Dining Hall or Tabranacle. Oh great. Later on, we found out that Bro. Monk had seen the funnel. It never actually touched down but it was spinning on the inside and picking up dust. Luckily, no damage was done and after about 2 hours of pandamonium, all was normal. Until Thursday.
Thursday- Why is it that the fateful days always start off boring? Thursday was both of these. Boring, and fateful. At about 6 PM, one of the dorm-mom's was fixing a camper's hair. And then she saw something crawl. Something brownish-yellow. Gimme a L! Gimme a I! Gimme a C! Gimme a E! What's that spell?



The head checks took place from 6:30 until 5-6 AM. 15 minutes per head. 12 girls sent home. When us workers got in line, we were #'s 32-45. The wait was until 6 AM. Eventually, us worker's went to bed and got our head checks after work. Cassie checked our heads unoficially for peace of mind because she was and EMT and had the training. We were all OK. Well, in the middle of all this, Brandy, one of the girls in the pit got a phone call saying that her grandfather had died unexpectedly. That was not fun at all.
Friday- The last day of the plagues....errr...I mean camp. Packed up stuff. Didn't do much. One of the girls in the pit stole 5 other girls things. Hopefully we get them returned, but all the girls were pretty mad, wouldn't you be? Well, this afternoon was incredibly fun. At lunch I had one of the biggest laughs in a long time. Doug's (one of the guy's in maintenance) wallet went missing. He got it back and not long after he did, someone asked him a question about his driver's liscense. He handed them his wallet and they opened it up and in the place where his liscense normally was, was a little yellow card with the simple words:
Oh my gosh, I have never laughed so hard, everyone ripped on him for that so bad. Bro. Pasley came over and everyone showed him the card and he called Doug over and said "I always suspected." We were rolling by this point. So then Doug turns to Bro. Pasley, hands him the card, and says "Here sir, do you need this?" I was laughing so hard I was crying. It was hilarious. I about died. Well, after this, we had service and everything and Dad picked me up and we went to Steak and Shake for some milkshakes. I got a sippable sundae. Well, I hope you all have enjoyed this post because it took me 30 minutes to write. I will talk to you all later.


Theresa said...

Well, Becky, sounds like you are just aching to go back to camp again next week! Life in the Pit is so interesting.

The Muffin said...

I'm not in the Nazi Prison Cell...err...I mean pit this week. I'm camping.

Liz said...

sounds like camp was just like old times.

Jewel said...

Oh my dear sweet gosh, sounds like you had a torturous week! Sheesh! Hopefully, with you camping next week, things will go better. Let's pray so, hm???